My Runner Blog

What?
A commemorative 3 day run (~105 miles) from Ringgold, GA to Kennesaw retracing the route that Union and Confederate soldiers marched and fought along during a portion of the Atlanta Campaign.

Why?
- Bring awareness to our state's rich civil war history - Combine my love of running and history - Commemorate the tour my great, great, great uncle Robert K. Houpt served with the 31st Indiana and my friend Anne Blanton's
great, great, great uncle, Elbert Blanton served with the 4th Florida during the Civil War. They marched the same route we’ll be running, and
- Raise awareness and donations for the Georgia Battlefields Association (www.georgiabattlefields.org)

How You Can Help?
- Volunteer to crew or cheer me along the way
- Donate to the Georgia Battlefields Association

Make a donation!


Thanks for your support!
-Tracy Houpt

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

A Little More About Me and Running


  • I love to run.  It started when I was a kid in Jr. High
  • Made it to Indiana State High School Track and Field Meet in 800m (1:57.3 - school record).
  • Ran 14:59 5K at High School Cross Country invitational
  • Made it on the All Time Top 10 Cross Country times in college (26:17 for 8K)
  • Ran steeplechase in college track and field

Then I took about 20 years off.  I started running again in 2004. 
  • Have completed numerous 5Ks, 10Ks and 1/2 Marathons.  Was Overall Masters Winner or Age Group Winner in some of these.
  • Completed  8 marathons, including the 2011 Boston Marathon.  Best time of 3:25.


  • Completed 5 ultramarathons (anything over 26.2 miles) including a 40 miler.


  • Only other thing to note is that I did have right knee surgery last year (April) to repair a torn meniscus and to address a cartilage void with a microfracture procedure
  • I had to be on crutches for 6 weeks and started 6 weeks of physical therapy after that

  • Started running again in August and have slowly increased my mileage
So far so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment